Next path in life

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 | |

I've been thinking of going back to school to get my master's degree in nursing. I went to college in hopes of becoming a doctor but I found out that 1) i hate studying, 2) I'm not as smart as I thought I was, 3) I really didn't want to go to school any longer.

so fast forward to almost 10 years later when I had my first daughter. I really was amazed by my midwife and the whole experience of child birth and I really wanted to take part. I've been talking to A-man to get him on board since I really haven't focused on just one thing with my million different business and/or venture ideas. BUT having another great birth with Abby and meeting some awesome nurses, I really have been thinking more and more. I thought once Abby is in school full time, in about 5 years, I can go to school full time also but today A-man tells me to just go ahead and that he will work and take care of the girls while I go to school full time.

Crazy huh! Since I already have a baccalaureate's degree, I need to take a full time 15 month program to earn a masters in nursing. Then another year, part or full time in my field of specialty. That's IF i get into UIC's college of nursing program which is ranked 7th in the nation with the midwifery program ranking 6th in the nation.

So I've been researching what I need to do in order to apply and my biggest hurdle was the required minimum GPA. I was terrified that I didn't meet the minimum since I really didn't do well in the first two years of college. But since I did ok the last two years, I meet the minimum GPA, Thank Goodness!! I was on the dean's list for one semester and I was all proud of myself. ha!!! I'm hoping being 12 years older now, I will be a little more focused and smarter. Although my book of choice these days are written by Dr. Suess.

So if all goes well, I will be applying to enter the spring of 2012. Applications are due March 2011 and I will need to study for and take the GRE, take an anatomy and physiology class (since they need it to be taken in the last 5 years) and write essays and shit. Wow, I'm getting a headache just thinking about homework.

3 comments:

KP said...

Wow, that is awesome Gooksu! You will do well no matter what you do! Good luck:)

Lori M-C said...

Good luck! That is great that you have A-man's support! My grandma is a retired nurse. You are going to be an awesome nurse!

Unknown said...

awesome! you will be an awesome nurse!!